Kevin Joseph Zegers (born September 19, 1984) is a Canadian actor and model. He is best known for his leading roles as Josh Framm in the Air Bud series, as well as playing Damien Dalgaard in the Gossip Girl series and the protagonist in Rock Mafia's The Big Bang. He also had a main role in the 2010 film Frozen. He will portray Alec Lightwood in The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
Zegers was born in Woodstock, Ontario to Jim Zegers, a longtime quarry worker, and Mary Ellen Zegers, a supply teacher. He has two sisters, Krista and Katie. All of his grandparents were born in The Netherlands. Zegers began his performing career at the age of 6, appearing in about 30 TV commercials. His first film appearance was at the age of 7, in a small role in the Michael J. Fox comedy Life With Mikey (1993). Subsequently, he appeared in many supporting roles, including a guest appearance on the television series The X-Files, playing a stigmatic child. He had the starring role in Air Bud (1997), a film about a sports-playing dog. In the years following, Zegers appeared in three sequels, as well as a similar genre film, MVP: Most Valuable Primate (2000), which featured a hockey-playing chimp. Between 1997 and 2004, Zegers had starring or costarring roles in many low-budget Canadian and horror films, including Nico the Unicorn (1998), Komodo (1999), and Wrong Turn (2003). He also appeared in the short-lived American television series Titans (2000), for which he was personally chosen by producer Aaron Spelling. Zegers had previously worked with co-star Yasmine Bleeth in the 1999 film It Came From the Sky. After appearing in the remake of Dawn of the Dead, he had a major role in the Academy Award-nominated independent film Transamerica (2005), costarring Felicity Huffman. Zegers' performance as the street hustling bisexual son of a male-to-female transsexual was praised by several critics, and he won the 2006 Cannes Film Festival Chopard Award, which is given to promising young actors. Zegers starred alongside Samaire Armstrong in the 2006 romantic comedy It's a Boy Girl Thing. In 2009, Zegers signed to play the role of Clyde Barrow in the remake of The Story of Bonnie and Clyde, alongside Hilary Duff. The two roles have since been recast due to scheduling conflicts for both actors. He also guest-starred in Gossip Girl from 2009 until 2010, and returning again in late 2010 for multiple episodes throughout season 4. He also appeared alongside Miley Cyrus on Rock Mafia's new video "The Big Bang", and in 2012, played the male protagonist in the television series Titanic: Blood and Steel, alongside Alessandra Mastronardi.
- Kevin Zegers at first was only rumoured for the role, but in 1st of August 2012, Cassandra Clare confirmed the rumours through her Tumblr account after the papers were signed and finalized.
- Kevin was actually one of the first actors approached to play Alec but his schedule didn’t work with the filming originally so they went with someone else; then the scheduling changed once again and it didn’t work for Alec Mark Two, but did work for Kevin.
- Cassandra Clare imagined him as Sebastian, but then she stated, after watching him playing, that he looked too nice to be him.
- One of the things Cassandra really liked about Kevin was the fact that instead of yelling and being really mean to Clary like a lot of actors who auditioned in the scene where Alec shouts at Clary in City of Bones and tells her she endangered Jace’s life, Kevin played it with a quiet sort of intensity that grew through the scene so you could see through the cracks of the anger and think: wow, this guy is really scared and vulnerable.
- He has blue eyes, which means that he will not have to wear lenses.