Faeries, also known as the Fair Folk or fey, are an extremely cunning race of Downworlders. They have angel blood mixed with demon blood. According to legend, and Madame Dorothea, faeries are fallen angels, cast down out of heaven for their pride. It is also said that they are the offspring of demons and angels. Most faeries avoid midday sunlight, for the devil has no power except in the dark.
They reside in the Faerie Realm, within the Seelie or Unseelie court. They are ruled over by a queen. To enter the Seelie court in New York, you must go into the lake in Central Park where the moon is shining on the surface - under the water you will gain entrance into the court.
The Fair Folk are also unable to lie. They might, however, tell what they believe is true, even if it is not. They may also expertly weave lies into sentences by using methods such as not telling the whole truth or letting others assume things.
If you drink or eat any of their food then you cannot leave Seelie Court unless the Queen lets you leave.
They have a seat on the Nephilim council which the Queen of Seelie Court wanted to be occupied by the faerie knight Meliorn. The Queen of Seelie Court wanted Clary Fray to suggest to Luke Garroway that the council seat should be given to Meliorn in exchange for a favor. Clary says no to this request saying that she has all she needs.
Known fair folk varieties
- Unidentified fair folk dancing in the Seelie court described with horns and skeleton like torsos
- Unidentified light purpled skinned 4 armed fairy at Magnus' party, serving drinks at the bar
- Elves (8 inch tall fair folk with sharp teeth ("and they bite" according to Jace)
- Pixies (moth sized fairys with "cute" faces and sharp teeth)
- Kelpies (described as medium sized people with dark green hair, webbed fingers and shark teeth
- Pucas (described as tall dark skinned folk with pointed ears)